Complain! Complain!

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Wed Mar 17 05:36:58 UTC 1999

Andres -

>"All right updates now are ok, let's update". Squeak 2.3 VM, up to update #659
>filed in.
>
>* Several change sets, especially B3D ones, gave 'something is Undeclared'. One
>of them especially gave out several Transcript pages of something like 'pLight
>is Undeclared' and stuff.
>
>* Some change sets gave
>	Class rename ignored...
>	Class remove ignored...
>
>Seems that change sets still forget things, erase classes at the end and rename
>what doesn't exist. Damn I thought I had fixed this!!! This is now personal,
>I'll fix them for good.

These are just warnings.  Not necessarily ChangeSet failings.  I have produced updates with such alerts left from renaming experiments, but did not bother to remove them (that's NOT to say rename really works well ;-).

If you go to the do... menu, there is an item
	Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys; inspect
This will report any variables that are STILL undeclared at the end of the process (I get none).

>* Update number 734 I guess gave Syntax Error, garbaged method the compiler
>started reading in the middle of something.
>
>* The Transcript window didn't keep all the text of the updates so now I can't
>see what happened! At #734 (or very close to that) when the update process
>stopped, I could just see up to #717 and I had all the text of all the previous
>updates as well... damn...

I got no such errors.  Are yours repeatable?

>Why does the Transcript limits its size, I mean, the amount of text it contains?
>Is it a bug or a feature?

It's a feature -- it took a lot of work ;-).

If you don't like the limit, add some zeros to...

TranscriptStream>>characterLimit
	"Tell the views how much to retain on screen"
	^ 3000

I agree that 3000 is too small.  I'll make it 20000 in 2.4.

	- Dan