released: correspondents networking framework 1a2

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Fri Mar 26 02:48:39 UTC 1999

Hi--

	A new release of the correspondents networking framework is available. This one is one alpha 2. The socket support actually works! It's missing complete serial port and MIDI support (I'll integrate from existing sources), a few situations are undefined, a few non-critical things are undeclared, and I'm writing more examples.

	As you may recall, the correspondents framework handles much of the busywork in writing new clients and servers. It includes a NetStream class whose instances can stream over several different external resources, including TCP and UDP sockets, MIDI ports, and serial ports. It uses a Berkeley-style primitive interface, and synchronization based on (Smalltalk) semaphores, instead of the current polling approach. Timeouts are supported, via those semaphores. Servers can handle multiple clients.

	This release uses new networking primitives. The source for
them, and a new virtual machine, are included for the Win95 platform.

	It's at http://www.netjam.org/self/projects/smalltalk/correspondents.html. Please try it out and let me know what you think!

	thanks,

-C

--