Must _ go like the Dodo?

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Tue Mar 16 05:34:27 UTC 1999

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> >>I think this is the way to go.  I would not try to deal with a minus sign
> >>here, but underbar should be usable when we drop the old assignment.  [I
> >>don't plan to do this until v3.0 because it implies a change of the
> >>sources].  I have been wanting dotted global names for quite a while.
> >
> > ... many near-flames snipped...
> >
> >Long live _ !
>
> Folks -
>
> I couldn't care less about _, except that I have heard a lot of reasons *from people on this list* for wanting to use _ as a normal character and not for assignment.
>
> What I said above means we won't do it right away, not we're planning to do it soon.  Jeesh.
>
> Was there anything else of interest in those messages?
>
>         - Dan

Here's a random weird thought on this rather trivial thread. :) If the left arrow glyph is to stay (which I hope it is), then why not map it with the ? key code? I have
yet to see anyone use it as a normal binary selector, and it's actually an easier shifted key pattern to press than the _. Of course, non-squeaky viewers would look even
worse than the _.

--
Travis Griggs (a.k.a. Lord of the Fries)
Key Technology
tgriggs at keyww.com
Member, Fraven Skreiggs Software Collective
 - C for Sinking
 - Java for Drinking
 - Smalltalk for Thinking
 ...and Power to the Penguin!