Launching Squeak Pages from a Web Browser

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 4 17:35:14 UTC 1999

Thanks to a comment from Tim Rowledge on the PWS list referencing
SystemDictionary>>readDocumentFile, I've got SqueakPages books opening from
Internet Explorer.

The code to do this is at http://guzdial.cc.gatech.edu/st/booksandWeb.cs
This changeSet includes the code to save a book to an uploadSwiki (such as
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeakPages.1) and the mods to Scamper to read
a book that ends in .bo.

To make clicking on a .bo URL in IE (or Navigator) open up the book in Squeak:
- File in the booksandWeb.cs changeSet into your image.
- Save your image as "squeak" (so that you get squeak.image and
squeak.changes created)
- Quit Squeak.
- Open up your Web browser.  Modify your "file helpers" (in IE, there is a
Preferences item in the Edit menu.)
- Create a new helper.  I named mine "application/x-squeak-book".  The
extension must be ".bo".  Set the application helper to your Squeak VM.
(For this to work, your squeak.image must be in the same directory as your
Squeak VM.)

Now you're set!  Go to the SqueakPages Swiki and click on some .bo link.
The .bo file should download to your disk, and Squeak should open up, then
load up the .bo file as a book.  I found that the .bo file contains the
URLs for its pages (property allTextURLs), so I read the original book URL
out of that, and it seems to be working.

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu