Steps to Modularity - Nested Global Variables

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at mail.netsurf.de
Sat Mar 20 11:08:13 UTC 1999

At 09:22 15.03.99 PST, Patrick Logan wrote:

>    3.  I don't know if we should support arbitrarily long dotted references.
>        What do you think?

I think, it would be more difficult to restrict packages to one level than
to allow nested packages.  Whether I'm right or wrong, I'd always go for
the way which is easier to implement :)

>More important than nested packages is an accepted package naming
>convention. What seems to work in Java is the convention of using
>domain names. In Java these names are nested, but in a single level
>packaging scheme, domain names could still be used.

What if I want to release classes who owns no domain name? I always
disliked Sun's convention in this context.  I'd perfer the alias name
approach.  Any global in Smalltalk (currently) gets its name by adding it
to a system dictionary to map the name to the object.  It's easy to add an
object under more than one name.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  ...and now something completely different