[VM] NCM performance report

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Thu Mar 25 08:44:47 UTC 1999

Tim -

>This costs one extra word/oop over the old design,
>plus the compactheader for the bytecode object; total 8 bytes extra per
>CM, or <36k for Dan's mini image example.

My apologies for saying 73k.  I was remembering another scheme.  36k isn't bad for a significant cleanup.  I think it's just a matter of when we want to bring this baby in to dry dock (ie major version change) to clean off some of these barnacles.  Besides NCM and possibly compact classes, there is also the split instance-size format field, and declaring a format code proper to contexts.

I hope we could manage all of these some time in the summer.  We're pretty much wedged for the next couple of months, though.

	- Dan