multilingual Squeak (Re: Must _ go like the Dodo?)

ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Tue Mar 16 09:51:08 UTC 1999

  Hi,

> Are you talking about the CJK unification?  I worked on an application
> that went chinese, japanese, korean (and english for debugging :-).
> I was told never to mention Unicode around a client because unification
> gives it a bad rap. We did use Unicode internally, and I found that
> it helped dealing with these languages.

  Was it possible to display a Japanese character and
Chinese one side-by-side on the system? (BTW, I think CJK is
a bit narrow minded word because I've heard that Singaporean
has there own hanzi characters that are not included in
Unicode:-)

  I wrote (preliminary) 'MultiCharacter' class and managed to
'display' a Paragraph with Japanese TextStyle on Squeak.
I'd like to devote much time to m18n Squeak, but I don't
have much time...

                                             OHSHIMA Yoshiki
                Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences
                               Tokyo Institute of Technology