PDAgui

Alexander Peuchert peuc at comnets.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Mar 24 09:48:01 UTC 1999

Hi out there,

maybe this question has been asked before, but ...

I'm developing a GUI for the PDA ports of Linux right now( actually I
started it two weeks ago). Now someone posted your Squeak as a good and
stable alternativ. I'd also like to use something complete and stable, but
have some questions about it ...

- how big is a minimal Squeak system with gui support ?
- how FAST is it, compared to a system written entirly in C ?
- as Squeak being a object-oriented system it would be easy to implement
some apps like a calendar or a web browser above it. But it would be
better if somebody already had done it ... ?

- as PDA don't have a big display things like overlapping windows and
window handles are not needed( but could be supported for later use), is
the Squeak windowing system ready for that ?

I'm looking forward to recieving your answers.

alex

P.S.: Now that Linux is reaching to the PDA territory Squeak could help it
get it usable on that system for end-users. And maybe this could fight
WinCE like Linux does on servers right now ... ( maybe, in the far future,
.... )

Alexander Peuchert
mailto:peuc at comnets.rwth-aachen.de