Multilingual Squeak

Russell Allen russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com
Thu Mar 25 00:48:55 UTC 1999

Hi

>It wouldn't be hard to add a translator to translate everything from one
>language to another with some control/help by the user.
>
>Ivan Tomek,

If you have a look at the babelfish translator that altavista uses
(http://babelfish.alstavista.com) you will see the limits and possibilities
of this approach...

In Squeak the strict "Object message: Object" grammer certainly simplifies
the parsing of Squeak sentences. However, a translating browser would still
have to cope with translating all of the symbols in the system (class
names, messages, temp variables etc), and would be better if it could make
at least a credible stab at translating comments by the user. You'd have to
(at a minimum) cope with noun phrases such as

anOrderedCollection
FormInspectView
ShortIntegerArray

as well as verbs in various forms:

scanFor:
addSubclass:
isVariable
atPutAll:

You probably know more about how to approach this then I do;  but it would
be (as far as I can see) quite difficult to do, requiring a fairly complex
NLP engine.  One of the problems would be that many of the symbols are not
"gramatically correct", but are paraphrases/simplifications of longer
phrases...

However, it would be a great solution to the problem of a multi-language
image - browse and make changes in whatever language you choose! :)

Russell

Russell Allen

russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com