MEETING: Chicago Smalltalk User Group (includes Squeak presentation)

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.com
Thu Mar 11 12:40:53 UTC 1999

On March 23, we will resurrect the Chicago Smalltalk User Group.  We are
very fortunate to have James Robertson of ObjectShare join us from out of
state for the meeting.  We expect for this to be a great kick-off meeting,
and we hope you can join us.

WHO:
Anybody interested in Smalltalk is welcome to attend the meeting.  There
are no fees or signup procedures.  Just show up!

WHEN:
Tuesday March 23, 1999, 6:45 pm - 8:30 pm

WHERE:
Glen Ellyn Public Library, Meeting Room B
400 Duane St.
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
630-469-0879
For directions, including maps, see the meeting announcement page at
http://www.bobjectsinc.com/cstug/meetann.htm

TOPICS:
VisualWorks 5i
James Robertson, ObjectShare Inc.

This new release of VisualWorks focuses on creating dynamic, distributed
internet solutions. It introduces support for browser hosted Smalltalk
applications using the VisualWorks ST Plug-in. And it provides advances to
the core Smalltalk language and support for team development. Jim will
present the details about this new release.

Squeak and the Quest for the Holy Grail
Mark Schwenk, WellThot Inc.

    "Imagine a system as immediate and tactile as a sketch pad, in which you
can effortlessly mingle writing, drawing, painting, and all the structured
leverage of computer science. Moverover, imagine that every aspect of that
system is described in itself and equally amenable to examination and
composition. Perhaps this system also extends out over the internet,
including and leveraging off the work of others. You get the idea: it's the
Holy Grail of computer science. All and everything." -- Dan Ingalls

Squeak is a portable Smalltalk-80 system that provides a unique world where
one may just discover the Holy Grail of computing. Mark will take us on a
tour through this world and talk about some of the things he has discovered
there.

MISCELLANEOUS:
If you have any questions about the meeting, contact Mark Schwenk via email
at mas at wellthot.com or phone 630-545-1470.

To learn more about the Chicago Smalltalk User Group, or to send us
feedback on the group, visit our web site at
http://www.bobjectsinc.com/cstug .

If you would like to be removed from this mailing list, or if you would
like to add another address,  please fill out the form at
http://www.bobjectsinc.com/cstug/listform.htm .