Protypes and Self and Squeak (was RE: Browsers)

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at mail.netsurf.de
Tue Mar 23 19:47:04 UTC 1999

>To me, this all speaks to the need for an efficient reification of the
>method lookup algorithm (as previosly mentioned in this forum).  For the
>standard class-based or the prototype-based lookup schemes, a speedy VM
>implementation could be used.  But, you may want an even more customized
>lookup scheme for certain objects.

It's not too difficult to hack the VM and add modify/extend the method
lookup algorithm.  Actually, this is the reason I prefer to do these kinds
of experiments with Squeak instead of i.e. VisualWorks.

However, I agree, that it'd be a cool feature if I could set a special bit
in the class' format and then the VM would call back a custom class method
to do the lookup or would evaluate a block or something similar.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  ...and now something completely different