Protypes and Self and Squeak (was RE: Browsers)

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Tue Mar 16 23:28:02 UTC 1999

Stefan Matthias Aust <sma at mail.netsurf.de> wrote:
> Some guy is currently working on a Linux port of the original SELF system,
> but that will not be easy and the guy has all my respect for that task.  He
> probably started without knowing about the difficulties :-)
>
> Check out http://www.egroups.com/list/self-interest/ for more info.

There are currently several different efforts to port or re-implent Self on
Linux & Mac. This should be of interest to even the non-proto fans in the
Smalltalk community as a Smalltalk was implemented in Self that ran faster
than any commercial Smalltalk of the day(mid-90s). So the appearence of a Self
for Linux/Mac might also give us access to the fastest Smalltalk VM ever made.

More info can be self-interest mailing list archive:

  http://www.egroups.com/list/self-interest

Steve