Results of "Installation help needed"

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed Mar 3 14:19:20 UTC 1999

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 08:00:31AM -0500, kpgrant at mindspring.com wrote:
>  .... We're still thinking about how to install it on the
>  department system and, knowing a little bit more about what these
>  files are for, a new question comes up.  As it stands now every student
>  who wants to play with squeak will need to have his own copy of all 4
>  files (or at least 3, since it seems you can do without the source
>  file if necessary).  This means an extra 8 to 14 megs of disk space
>  per student.  Is there any convenient way around this?

-> Not everyone needs his own VM. The binary can live somewhere else.
    (e.g. in the directory /usr/local/bin)

-> Squeak (normally) does not need to write to SqueakV2.sources. So use
    Symbolic Links to a shared global read-only copy. This global copy
    can be in e.g /usr/local/share/squeak/)

-> Write a new Squeak Source File. The SqueakV2.source is from Squeak2.0,
    so the code of all improvements since V2 is in the changefile.
    Write a new Sourcefile with
              Smalltalk condenseSources.

Now every user needs only the following files:
-rw-r--r--   1 marcus   marcus        153 Mar  3 14:57 Squeak2.3.changes
-rw-r--r--   1 marcus   marcus    4145084 Mar  3 14:26 Squeak2.3.image
lrwxrwxrwx   1 marcus   marcus         34 Feb 10 21:04 SqueakV2.sources
-rw-r--r--   1 marcus   marcus      46059 Feb 10 21:04 ReadMe.txt

-> If this is too large: look at the "shrinking" cathegory of
    SystemDictionary and strip everything you don't need.

-> I have written a Squeak-wrapper-script. When called for the first time,
    the script ("squeak") copies all needed files (image, changes,
    link to Sources, readme) to the directory ~/.squeak, sets the
    environment variables SQUEAK_IMAGE and SQUEAK_MEMORY, and finally
    starts the VM. When installed in a directory that is in the $PATH
    of the users, they only need to type in "squeak" to start playing.

A tar.gz archive with the wrapper script (and some Man-pages) is  attached.

The filesystem-layout of the Debian-package is the following:

/usr/bin/squeakvm               (normal VM)
/usr/bin/squeakvmh              (headless)
/usr/bin/squeak                 (wrapper script)
/usr/share/squeak/Squeak2.3.changes
/usr/share/squeak/Squeak2.3.image
/usr/share/squeak/ReadMe.txt
/usr/share/squeak/SqueakV2.sources