[? Windows] CR instead of CR/LF (was: RE: update 1164)

shaping at bigfoot.com shaping at bigfoot.com
Mon May 3 22:03:23 UTC 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Norton, Chris <chrisn at Kronos.com>
To: <squeak at cs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 03, 1999 3:40 PM
Subject: [? Windows] CR instead of CR/LF (was: RE: update 1164)

> [Norton, Chris]  OK.  I don't have a problem with the reasons, but I
> have had some (minor) difficulties with this representation under Windoze.
> When I open some Squeak changes files, they come up nicely formatted and
> presentable, but others come up as a big blob of text.  I suppose this is
> because my tools of choice weren't "designed intelligently" as Dan
> suggested.
>
> I've tried Notepad, WordPad and MS Word 98 so far.  NotePad and
> WordPad fail miserably, but MS Word seems to work.  Do any of you Windoze
> Squeakers have a better tool for reading these files from the File Manager
> or from the Explorer (besides Squeak itself)?

Chris, I have the same problem, and am still wondering what to do about it.
I use WordPad as my default viewer, which does, I think, nearly all of the
format conversion Word does.  If the text is a big blob with little squares
strewn throughout, I save it as an RTF file, close the viewer, and open that
RTF file.  That so far has fixed all of my blobs.  Then I resave it as a
plain text (.txt) file.

But there has to be a better way...

Shaping