Platform independent abstractions on platform specific models

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Wed May 19 22:22:40 UTC 1999

Chris,

I like the policies idea.  Certainly, some work is needed in that area.
However, I hate how VisualWorks tries to emulate different platform widget
sets (and this hatred comes mostly from the constant complaining by users of
the VW app I used to work on).  I don't really hate the concept, but rather,
I hate the idea that so many engineers must waste so much time trying to
keep the emulations up to date (and it never looks quite right).

I think time is better spent improving the Squeak UI rather than making it
look like other UIs (of course others may find it worthwile to emulate other
windowing systems).

Also, if you want to look native, then why not be native.  Just build
frameworks to wrapper host OS windowing systems, then build abstractions
that enable lowest common denominator type native widget portability (if
desired).

To me, the ultimate would be to have many native OS windowing systems
wrappered and available if desired.  Tools and applications could come in
several UI flavors: MVC, Morphic, or any of a number of host windowing
systems.

Of course, doing the platform integration work is the ultimate sort of
drudgery that most people would rather just not do!

- Stephen