Source Code Header (Was: Linefeeds in Squeak source code)

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Wed May 12 11:50:56 UTC 1999

>I strongly agree with the general direction of adding some 'harmless' binary
>header. And, while we're talking about it, why not adding the 'expected file
>size' in it?! This way the image could check immediately if something's
>obviously broken.

Indeed, we might consider a number of things to put in that header.

For example, it would be nice to control the allocation of memory
between object memory and system "slop," so that large plugins with
substantial memory space can be accomodated on sufficiently large
machines without recompiling the VM.  Presently, the MacOS VM appears
to allocate a fixed (and constant in the VM) amount of slop (0.5M
when last seen).  It would be nice if this could be placed in a file
somewhere so that the VM can allocate memory differently, if need be,
on bootup.