Thinking about a better UI

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at it-iq.com
Tue May 18 12:12:52 UTC 1999

> Aren't control characters an anachronism?

Probably yes in Squeak, but a very useful one.  I've got ctrl-T, ctrl-F,
ctrl-V and (my old favorite from VW) ctrl-G that do exactly what I'm
expecting, thanks very much :-).

The argument about ctrl-X,C,V vs alt-X,C,V probably really hinges around the
ctrl-V for version that many Smalltalks use; other than that, it's not
difficult to tweek the keyboard mappings so that ctrl-X,C,V do
cut/copy/paste.  I'm not sure which way I'd vote on this.  When my brain
clocks a MS-Windoze window, it rather assumes ctrl; when it sees an xterm,
it assumes mouse clicks; when it sees vi, it assumes yank and put commands;
when it sees Squeak, it assumes alt.  Maybe I've just used too many UIs over
the decades.  Certainly I wouldn't rush to fix this just because one window
system does it a different way.

		- Peter