Thinking about a better UI

Joachim Durchholz joachim.durchholz at munich.netsurf.de
Mon May 17 07:40:37 UTC 1999

Andres Valloud wrote:

> Hi.
>
> > 3) Cut&paste from Squeak to the outside world and back.
>
> This works, in Squeak cut-copy-paste are alt + x-c-v instead of ctrl.

1) Why this difference? (This question probably doesn't go to Squeak in
general but to Andreas Raab.)
2) Right on Squeak's start-up screen, there should be a large window
detailing how to use it. Or, to keep the footprint small, a reference to
a WWW resource that can be downloaded, will automatically open, and stay
on the Squeak desktop for later reference.
This should cover not only Cut&Paste, but all the mechanics of using
Squeak. Like: How to use the scroll bars, what to do if there is no
horizontal scroll bar but the text is wider than the window, what a
"flap" is, that one must move the cursor over the pane that one wants to
type into, and all those little things that are different from Windows
(or any other windowing system).
Another reference should give hints about using the system (i.e. the
standard tutorial about Smalltalk). What I was missing here was some
bird's eye view of the system: How to go about using Morphic, what
classes (and method categories) to inspect first, and similar stuff.
(Maybe it would be a good idea to incorporate some "read me first"
mechanism into the browsers themselves, so that each class author is
responsible for providing these hints. Just musing...)

Regards,
Joachim
--
Please don't send unsolicited ads.