[ENH] Inbound SMTP mail server

O'NEEL Bruce beoneel at mindspring.com
Mon May 31 10:39:47 UTC 1999

Hi,
   Attached below is a RFC822 Minimal SMTP inbound mail server.
Basically you can have an inbound mail server with a pluggable
delivery set of classes, ie, given a user name, what do you want me to
do with their mail?  A simple example as well as a very minimal
example delivery class are included.  It seems to work OK, though,
it's not been pounded on heavily.  It won't work on any existing
system which has something running on port 25, so, that counts out
most unix/linux boxes.  SMTP is an old protocol, so, you have no
choice but to run on Port 25.  Also, it only does inbound mail and
isn't really meant to be a replacment for sendmail/smail/qmail/etc.
If you need to send mail from Squeak it's already built in the class
SMTPSocket.

   If you are going to run this in a non-friendly environment you might
want to modify it to put some limit on the size of the mail message,
since that would be a quick way to make things go badly.

   It was greatly inspired by and liberaly copied and modified from the
PluggableWebServer PWS.  Buffer handling code was also copied and
modifed from the SimpleClientSocket Class.  Thanks to all of the
involved authors.  This saved me a huge amount of time!

cheers

bruce

Attachment converted: Anon:BEOSmtp.31May959am.cs (????/----) (0000A849)

---
Reality is 80m polygons - Alvy Ray Smith
Bruce O'Neel - beoneel at mindspring.com
http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~bioneel/beo/beo.html - daily stuff