[PWS] PWS only meant for Swiki?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon May 3 15:04:18 UTC 1999

> >I am curious how, in practice, a Swiki performs.  In particular, how
> >practical are these things for communities of several hundred people?

The current Swikis haven't been optimized much at all, but as Mark Guzdial posted earlier, they are handling his ~100 student sophomore class without trouble.

I can quantify this a little more.  We did some quick tests on a Mac (Bolot, Je77, do you know what kind of Mac it is?), and found two things that are bottlenecks right now:

	1. Reading a Swiki's source text, ie SwikiPage>>text, takes over 100 milliseconds by itself.  This could obviously be improved: contentsOfEntireFile on the samy file took like 15-20 milliseconds.

	2. "swikifying" a page is currently dominated by the check for whether a particular line break is in between < and >.  This check is needed, but it could be made more efficient.  With the check, the time taken is about 200 milliseconds.  Without the check, the time is down in the 10-20 millisecond range, if I remember right.  It was definately a LOT less.

So in summary, on this modest Macintosh:

	1. Currently, it can sustain about 2 Swiki page requests per second, which is reasonable for a group of a few hundred people.

	2. It can be easily improved to at least 20 regular requests per second (50 ms per hit).

Lex