Linefeeds in Squeak source code

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Tue May 11 22:57:06 UTC 1999

> Most HTTP servers and clients have default MIME settings that pick a
> transfer mode based on the file's name rather than contents.  Widely
> supported generic name extensions for this purpose are .txt (maps to
> text/plain) and .bin (for application/octet-stream).  When it comes to
> FTP, all bets are off; but the "smart" clients are likely to do the
> Right Thing[tm] when seeing those same name extensions.  Of course,
> none of these come with stock settings for things named *.image or
> *.changes :/

But being 'smart' by simply treating everything as text rather than binary
data?! I can't really see the point in it - and part of my everyday
frustration is getting messages from people that try do download '.exe'
files that are constantly treated by Netscape as text files (which is
probably part of the companys attitude towards M$ - but hey, why do *I* have
to suffer from it?!)

  Andreas
--
+===== Andreas Raab ========= (andreasr at wdi.disney.com) ==+
| Walt Disney Imagineering        Phone: +1 818 544 5016  I
I Glendale, CA                    Fax:   +1 818 544 4544  I
+======< http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab >========+