Platform independent abstractions on platform specific models

Joachim Durchholz joachim.durchholz at munich.netsurf.de
Wed May 19 20:34:40 UTC 1999

"Norton, Chris" wrote:

> This is a subject that I have spent some time thinking about (& I've
> posted stuff on it twice).  I agree with you when you suggest that
> platform abstractions should be handled outside of the VM.  A class
> based system is great, because you can easily maintain it without
> having lots of custom C++ VM code to re-write.

Besides, stuff outside the VM is easer to activate if case you have to
act out-of-character for a while. Imagine building or parsing file names
for a Windows machine on a Linux Squeak: impossible to reuse if there's
a built-in policy in the VM; a matter of a bit tweaking if it's all
Smalltalk source code.

Regards,
Joachim
--