[PWS] PWS only meant for Swiki?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue May 4 17:28:48 UTC 1999

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Mark Guzdial wrote:

[snip]

> I think that Bolot's new PWS implementation is all stream-based rather than
> passing strings around -- both for speed and for memory hits.  (Try to
> serve a 25M QuickTime Star Wars Trailer in the current PWS :-)  This was
> one of the tests that Bolot did of the current system.

This won't help with reading from disk, will it? Just curious. Just a
reminder (provoked by a recent discussion on comp.lang.smalltalk), that
big savings occur if you presize the stream.

[snip]

> Hmm, I just wrote a tiny-and-still-incomplete HTML tag scanner for my class
> as a demonstration
> (http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/cs2390_99_spring/slides/parse/outline.html).
> Maybe I can modify that for this purpose. A hand-built scanner will
> probably be faster than a regular expression system.

Ah, this reminds me of a something I was playing with a ways back. I
wanted my SwikiParser to produce (as it's parse tree) Scamper HTML
objects. Then have that write out to html or just display (if this was in
squeak). So SwikiParser's would be subclasses of HtmlParser. One advantage
is that you could easily format your HTML nicely, and, indeed, enforce
some standards (e.g., close tags).

Indeed, I'd like to have the templates as a HTMLish tree. It would make
them much easier to manipulate programmatically. (I suspect that debugging
them would be easier too ;))

Alas, I think it's going to take some serious revamping of the Html
classes.

Still, something to think about...

Cheers,
Bijan.