port to m68k - where is it

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Mon Nov 22 22:22:28 UTC 1999

Hi, Stefan.

All the Mac C source files are included in the image itself. They
compile right "out of the box" for the 68K (using CodeWarrior),
and a pre-built 68K VM comes with the 2.6 Squeak distribution.

[Note to Mac 68K folks:]

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't allow you to build a fat binary
when you use the Code Fragment Mangager (CFM), the plugable primitives
require using CFM. But, other than the inconvenience of having
two executables, Squeak still works fine on the 68K machines.

One other CFM issue: you can no longer run the 68K VM under the
emulator on a PPC Mac. Send complaints to Apple if you like, but
I don't think they plan to fix this. However, pluggable primitives
are worth a few little sacrifices... :->

[end note]

I'm sure many people would love to seen an Amiga port. What
I recommend is starting with the file "sqMacMinimal.c". The comment
there has directions on how to get a very minimal VM running only
about 2000 lines of platform-specific code. This VM won't have
sound, networking, pluggable primitive, etc, but it will be enough
to start Squeak, do programming, run examples, and save an image.
You can then, at your leisure, add support for the missing
facilities in whatever order you like. On the Amiga, I'd probably
want to get the sound and MIDI facilities going right away, but
that's up to you.

If you know how to write a simple window-based application on the
Amiga, I bet you could have sqAmigaMinmal.c working in under a week.

Good luck!!

	-- John