Command Line Workspace (was RE: Language implementation inSqueak)

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Fri Nov 19 00:42:42 UTC 1999

When I suggested creating a Command Line Workspace, I have to admit that I
figured there might be some hidden shortcuts already available which might
give you some equivalent functionality.

I probably should've at least tried Cmd-p after typing an expression...
d'oh!  I don't think I would have ever discovered the Cmd-ENTER trick,
though.  But these are both handy and reduce the need for a command
line-like interface.

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Scott Wallace wrote:
>
> > A little-known fact about Squeak workspaces is that Cmd-ENTER is a
> > synonym for "print it".
>
> The unix vm does not generate ENTER keyboard events at all. ENTER and
> RETURN used to be the same. I must admit I liked it that way, but for
> trying I just added the line to recognize the keypad enter key as ENTER.
> still don't like it, because that key is so far away. Is there a reason
> not to use Cmd-RETURN for "print it"?

I agree, Cmd-ENTER seems a little too obscure.  I can't think of any
reason not to have Cmd-RETURN do this... it's a lot more accessible.

(By the way, on my WinNT box with Squeak 2.6, ENTER and RETURN are mapped
to the same key.  Only my Mac seems to have them mapped differently...)

As far as the bit of highlighted text that results from a Cmd-p/Cmd-ENTER,
it might be neat if just the Cmd-ENTER (or Cmd-RETURN) print-it could be
changed so that the result printed on the next line, unhighlighted, and
moved the cursor another line down.  Maybe I'll look at that... hopefully
it wouldn't muck up the code too much.

> And, is there anyone who actually
> uses ENTER as synonym for Cmd-s when accepting code?

I could see this being useful.  Certainly, you wouldn't want to completely
remove the option of having the two keys mapped separately.  (Is your
argument that you like to use the numeric keypad for entering numbers, and
have the Enter key behave as a RETURN when you're doing that?)  Some sort
of preference for Enter-key mapping would probably be best, as Scott W.
suggested...

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net

I'd call myself an artist
If I could make these feelings clear
But there's a million things to think about
When you're cutting off your ear
                - Scott Miller