[Q] Squeaky Business, WDI, DIS and the world according to a Mouse.

Todd Nathan tnathan at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 12 04:55:26 UTC 1999

Jan,

By all means, the question was posed to better understand and flesh
out information like you have proposed.  Indeed I am a ST believer,
loved it since the day I ordered Digitalk/V for Mac in '89.  Unfortunately
the reality of making a reasonable living at that time hit me, and I went
to the dark side (oh, black hardware and steve j., not bill dark side)
and did st-like with ObjC and the kits that came with that system.

I am back, more in love with programming and the system than ever
before, ST back then was a lonely, scary thing.  Now the lights are
on in the ST studio and it is sooooooooo much easier to see what this
thing can do, be and is becoming.  In no small part to the Apple and
DIS efforts with Sqk.  As I walked out of the BOF with Alan, I wanted
to thank him then, and I do now, this bitchin' deal is great!  Makes
me hungry to program and be part of a movement, a belief again,
similiar to early daze of ][ and Mac programming.  A cause, only now
there is the dark side looming over us more, and I do not like it at all.

Okay, back to planet Earth.

As for DIS, it don't look too good.  With 1/2 billion going to foreign
markets (and we know what France turned out to be) and the movie
business being what it is today, many choices, shops are struggling
and merging to stay afloat for a big hit.  See, I don't have to love
Eisner,
or his company to love Squeak.  I didn't love Apple (actually kinda did,
but more as a sorry ass excuse for a wanna be computer company
at the time) yet I loved SK8 and Squeak, ScriptX and Taligent (Pink or
whatever it was called).  My question still isn't answered.  Can Squeak
be seperated from DIS should they toss the coin in favor of fortune
cookies instead of cool tools?

I'm here brother, we are on the same side.  I believe.  I joked to
a couple of the dudes at the BOF, I felt like I was in an Amway meeting
at the BOF.  Man, talking about getting motivated.  I'm with you!

\t