Squeak IRC client.

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at tr.cgocable.ca
Wed Nov 24 06:25:21 UTC 1999

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu>
¿ : squeak at cs.uiuc.edu <squeak at cs.uiuc.edu>
Date : mercredi 24 novembre 1999 00:50
Objet : Re: Squeak IRC client.

>Daniel Allan Joyce <daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> Ian Trudel wrote:
>> >
>> > Welp, I've done some changes and fixes too. Such timestamp and having
my
>> > nick instead of me: in channel panes. You may be interested. Honestly,
there
>> > would have much work to do to make this client viable for everyday
(okai,
>> > most of you don't even IRCing ;:) use. There is lack of preference
panel,
>> > easy way to customize/scripting, better GUI and so forth.
>> >
>> > What do you think and planning ?
>> >
>> > Ian
>>
>> Oh, pretty much that and more. Scripting is easy though, Smalltalk
>> gives us a lot of what's needed... ;)
>>

>Exactly.  If you create a raw IRCConnection, then you can register
>objects to be notified of things like messages sent to a chanel and
>mesasges sent to your nick.  You can also subscribe an object to be
>notified of each individual IRC protocol-level message that comes
>across, if you want a script to *really* get into the guts of things.
>And of course there are plenty of commands to do things like *send* a
>message, or subscribe to a new channel.

Neato, I've noticed this subscribe thing. I'll dig into it.

>Something that is definately missing with respect to scripting, though,
>is a way to organize any scripts that you write.  At the least, it would
>be nice if you can open an inspector on the IRCConnection object from
>the regular UI, from which you could invoke your script.  Better would
>be to have a menu of available scripts, and to be able to invoke one of
>them, but, where does the list come from?

I would simply inherit scripts from some Script class. This Script class
could have all goodie ready-to-use such as onJoin, onPart, stuff to write in
channels or status and so forth. 'don't know..

>But scripting probably isn't the most important feature, is it?  Probably
>most IRCers *don't* use scripts that heavily.  (I could be wrong, of
>course).  A couple of features that most IRCers probably would like
>that the current client doesn't have, are to have fancy boldface,
>etc, text, and to have DCC file transfers.

Well, there is four things I've noticed important for IRCers. First one, is,
of course, the ability to chat. Every IRC client do it already. The easy of
use is vital, where mIRC came first in front of pIRCh, XiRCON and such. This
also mean a nice GUI. Third, scripting is among the important things. I've
seen ppl learning TCL just to script bots and stuff. Hey, after all.. why
BitchX was so good? Not the user interface. ::) Finaly, file transfer and
chat thru DCC as you mentioned.

I know many people would learn Squeak just to customize (GUI, commands, etc)
and script the IRC client. They would write some useless scripts and you
would see some hundred kids around Squeak IRC client. Unfortunatly, the ppl
I suggested Squeak to write their scripts disliked the lack of
documentation, small examples and some GUI references for customization.
They found Swiki server somehow confusing.

regards,
Ian