Squeak IRC client.

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 24 00:24:49 UTC 1999

Daniel Allan Joyce <daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Ian Trudel wrote:
> >
> > Welp, I've done some changes and fixes too. Such timestamp and having my
> > nick instead of me: in channel panes. You may be interested. Honestly, there
> > would have much work to do to make this client viable for everyday (okai,
> > most of you don't even IRCing ;:) use. There is lack of preference panel,
> > easy way to customize/scripting, better GUI and so forth.
> >
> > What do you think and planning ?
> >
> > Ian
>
> 	Oh, pretty much that and more. Scripting is easy though, Smalltalk
> gives us a lot of what's needed... ;)

Exactly.  If you create a raw IRCConnection, then you can register
objects to be notified of things like messages sent to a chanel and
mesasges sent to your nick.  You can also subscribe an object to be
notified of each individual IRC protocol-level message that comes
across, if you want a script to *really* get into the guts of things.
And of course there are plenty of commands to do things like *send* a
message, or subscribe to a new channel.

Something that is definately missing with respect to scripting, though,
is a way to organize any scripts that you write.  At the least, it would
be nice if you can open an inspector on the IRCConnection object from
the regular UI, from which you could invoke your script.  Better would
be to have a menu of available scripts, and to be able to invoke one of
them, but, where does the list come from?

But scripting probably isn't the most important feature, is it?  Probably
most IRCers *don't* use scripts that heavily.  (I could be wrong, of
course).  A couple of features that most IRCers probably would like
that the current client doesn't have, are to have fancy boldface,
etc, text, and to have DCC file transfers.

Lex