Command Line Workspace (was RE: Language implementation in Sq ueak)

Jerry Jackson jrj at channelpoint.com
Wed Nov 17 20:12:57 UTC 1999

Absolutely.

> It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to create a hybrid command line
> interface/workspace in Squeak.  Call it a "command line workspace".
> Hitting <return> after typing an expression would simply do a
> "print it"
> on the expression, output on the next line.  And you could
> still have the
> full text editor menu with "do it", "inspect it", etc., if
> you wanted to
> highlight text and do workspace-like stuff.

That would be great... It would be very similar to using a lisp
interpreter within emacs (or an IDE like LispWorks) which
works very well in my experience.

> Although if you wanted to enter multiple lines of code (and
> be allowed to
> include returns in it) for a single evaluation, you would
> need a mechanism
> to do that.

Sure.  Say, maybe you could start the expression with an open
parenthesis and evaluate it when you see a return
following the matching right parenthesis :-)