Teaching Children Programming

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Fri Nov 12 15:08:04 UTC 1999

At 12:10 AM +0000 11/12/99, Tom Ayerst wrote:

>I'm sure this is a FAQ but is there any info on using squeak to teach
>children about programming?

Not much right now, I'm afraid.

You see, we're not completely happy with things as they are.
We've been building and testing some content based on the EToy
scripting system, but we're dissatisfied in two opposite directions:

  1. it isn't powerful and self-extensible enough, and
  2. it isn't simple enough for the first-time user.

Seems like a contradiction, but we always try to have
our cake and eat it, too.

Is this a research interest, or do you know some kids
that you want to turn on to programming?

	-- John