Some questions about Squeak

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Nov 27 08:56:03 UTC 1999

Hi

I'm restarting to play with Squeak and I'm really familiar
with the mailing-list so here is a list of questions I have:

**I would like to know if there is a way to propose new improvements
for the smalltalk kernel.

For example: it could be really good to have an automatic
initialization protocol like in Clos, to avoid to have to define
everywhere this boring
	new
		^ super new initialize

in CLOS the make-instance method is calling the initialize-instance
for ALL the objects in the system. In Smalltalk, we would just have
to redefine Behavior>>new to call Object>>initialize.
We could let basicNew for emergency purpose.

**I tried several times to get automatic update from the server
but I NEVER succeeded. Is there somethign wrong?

**The mailing list is quite buzy. Is there no plans to have a newgroup?
I know that some of you think that Squeak is not ready for the mainstream
people but this would help people that are interested to communicate more
easily.

**Long time ago somebody said that I was starting to port the
Refactoring Browser.  Is this project still alive? I discussed with
John Brant at OOPSLA and he told me that at the refactoring engine
level he did not see problems.

**I tried Squeak 2.6 on Unix and I got a lot of error linked with the
BallonEngine, while on the mac and PC I got no problem at all.

** The uiuc server is often pretty difficult to obtain. Yesterday for
the first time I was able to play with the music (just because I never
thought before that I could download another midi file). It could be
fun to have a small set of midi file on the Squeak ftp site too.

Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.