[FIX] Various fixes for Celeste

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 23 23:51:01 UTC 1999

Tim Olson <tim at jumpnet.com> wrote:
> Hi, Mike:
>
> Since you have been putting fixes in for Celeste -- one thing I
noticed
> is that the Date: field that Celeste puts out is not RFC822 compliant.

> It is missing the local timezone info on the end which allows the
> recipient to sort the mail according to the date/time sent, regardless
of
> timezone.
>
> Has anyone looked into how to support timezone info in the Squeak
image,
> either directly or through a system primitive?

I for one have thought a bit about it.  The problem is that time zone
information simply isn't available in Squeak.  You can do "Time now" and
get the local time, but it's for some unknown time zone.  So what
should Celeste put?

I keep hoping someone will jump up who understands time zones and
calendrial calculations and such and implement something in Squeak that
can be easily ported around.  Once it's in there, it will be extremely
easy to add the timezone to Celeste's date header.

Lex