Self 4.1 for Mac OS Its too slow to be used for anythinguseful.

John M McIntosh johnmci at ibm.net
Mon Nov 8 05:29:59 UTC 1999

> I haven't looked at the Self Mac port, so I don't know its specifics,
> but one thing that was critical on their earlier workstation based
> versions was having a _lot_ of free RAM available for Self. How much RAM
> do you have in your iMac? How much have you made available for Self?
> Having a minimum of 64MB of RAM available just for Self might be a good
> idea (your iMac would need about 128MB RAM to leave this much
> available).
>
> -- Dwight

I was talking to Ungar about some issues with the port and a new one is
coming that is much faster due to some macintosh specific tuning. David
isn't a mac programmer, thus oversights lurk.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6