Intervals

John Duncan jddst19+ at pitt.edu
Tue Nov 30 03:28:53 UTC 1999

> This is on a PPC; I would gess that the particular floating
> point hardware
> might make a difference.

It shouldn't on any of the micros Squeak is ported to.  IEEE754/854
specifies the behavior of these chips, regardless of their makers.
The only difference to be had is when an architecture is emulating
double-precision using extended-precision.  (64-bit floats using an
80-bit base representation).  I think this was an option on the
Mac68k, but I don't know what SANE did to these calculations.

-John

The PPC does, however, have some interesting instructions, such as its
algebraic right shift operator.