semaphore signalling semantics

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Tue Nov 16 22:08:11 UTC 1999

> I claim that, in the big picture, the occasional "false wakeup"
> isn't going to have a measurable effect on performance.

	It seems to me that when things get busy, the writability signals that reading code gets and the readability signals that writing code gets could be a problem. But I'll hold this thought until I do benchmarks. :)

> I think I may have been overly influenced by the Xerox Mesa/Pilot take
> on semaphores, which is that a semaphore is signalled only as a hint
> that some condition has been fulfilled... Perhaps this is not the usual
> way semaphores are taught in computer science these days, which
> might explain some of our differences.

	Good point. That definitely wasn't the way I was taught to think about semaphores (in 1986, at UC Berkeley :). They were seen as bet-the-farm guarantees of specific conditions.

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist