SubMenus with stayUp items

Russell Swan swan at dandenong.cs.umass.edu
Tue Nov 30 15:53:22 UTC 1999

I'm using SubMenus with stayUp items, and I'm having 3 problems. None are
major, but they are annoying. I was wondering if anyone has done anything
like this before I dig into the code much more.

1. When you select 'keep this menu up' the submenu goes away when you
release the mouse. When you reclick the parent menu item, the submenu
reappears, with stayUp = true. I'd like the behavior to be like the top
level menus, where it stays up right away.

2. When you dismiss a menu if it has an open subMenu the subMenu stays up.
Clicking dismiss on the submenu then raises an MessageNotUnderstood error.
How can you find open submenus to dismiss? I looked around in explorer and
couldn't find any obvious flags like open = true or display = true.

3. Mouse droppings. The only place I consistently get mouse droppings in
Squeak is when I use submenus. The rightmost (or leftmost, depending on
placement) line sometimes remains at 1 pixel width. I assume there is a
BilBlt method for redrawing after a menu goes away that should get widened
by 1 pixel, but I haven't dug into it.

Any help with any itmes would be greatly appreciated.

-Russell Swan