Q: What makes Morphic slow?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 22 10:25:20 UTC 1999

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> wrote:
> Henrik,
>
> > This is the old problem with the Win VM making delays in the
> > primMousePt primitive. Since CEs use taps instead of dragging, the
> > heuristic not to delay when a mouse button is down doesn't work
properly.

> Good point! It never occured to me that the above would actually
happen. Now
> the question is what do we do?! Drain the batteries by disabling the
delay?!
> Any other suggestions?!

Nowadays (since about 15 months ago, so maybe it's not so new anymore),
both Morphic and MVC will try to avoid busy loops polling the mouse.  In
morphic this is done very cleanly, because there is a single point where
a world-update begins.  But in MVC it works, too--it just requires
inserting delays in half a dozen locations, instead of just one place.
The idea behind these things is that it's never worthwhile updating the
screen more than 100 times a second (the value can be tuned--see classes
Controller and PasteUpMorph).

So in short, try it without the delays sometime, and see what happens.
It might not be so bad!

Lex