Squeak and ST in general (3)

Jarvis, Robert P. Jarvisb at timken.com
Wed Nov 17 13:20:50 UTC 1999

	<snip!>
> BTW: While looking today at www.javasoft.com I was a little bit surprised:
>      Java is now "Turbo-Charging client-side performance" and is moving
>      "from basic functionality to extreme performance". It is now
>      "super-high-performance" and "Swing (JFC/Swing) libraries have been
>      super-tuned". The "performance has been boosted". - Wow !
>
>      What about implementing a virtual machine for Assembler or C in the
>      Java language to get all these slow native CPU program's faster. ;)

Back many years ago there was a term for radio systems which could shift
frequency to avoid jamming, known as "frequency agility".  I think Java has
"hype agility".  As soon as Java starts getting beaten up in one area they
shift the focus of their hype and Voila!  New Hype!!  WORA is a joke?
Surprise!  We *really* meant that Java is great on the server!  Server-side
Java problems surface?  Hey!  We can do client-side apps!!

I wonder sometimes if the developers at Javasoft cringe when they read the
stuff being poured out by the Javasoft marketing flacks?

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken