Why i use Squeak ???

Hans-Martin Mosner hm.mosner at cityweb.de
Sat Nov 13 19:52:26 UTC 1999

Piero Campanelli wrote:

> Hi.
>
> i am asking to myself why i am using or why i want to use Squeak. I
> answered:
>
> a. i like OO and i want something easy that allows me to make my OO models
> executable (put in another way smalltalk is a language that allows me to put
> OO concepts as they are in my mind). So I use for PROTOTYPING

Good. Smalltalk is very good at prototyping.

> b. I think Smalltalk is a good didactic language for learning OO.....so i am
> using for aids in my trainings !!! So I use for DIDACTIC purposes

That's good too. Having a pure OO language for learning OO gives you much more,
even if you have to use other languages later because your boss or the customer
wants it.

> c. It's fun to program with smalltalk...but this is a very subjective
> opinion....

That's one of the best reason. I started using Smalltalk 13 years ago for
exactly that reason, at it has always been my best reason to stay with it.
And Squeak is arguably the most fun thing around in the Smalltalk world.

> My question is: i am a newbie to smalltalk world.....are my answers
> arguable? (are they consistent answer?). Do I missing something most
> important ? Probably i need some motivation to learn the VM around Squeak

What do you mean by VM? the virtual machine? You probably don't need to learn
its mechanisms for a long time to go. It is a certain fun in its own right,
though, if you were that kind of kid that would open alarm clocks and other
technical things to see how they work...

Hans-Martin