Jitter name

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Sun Nov 14 07:36:45 UTC 1999

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Todd Nathan wrote:

> Well I think Jitter is being developed, but version 1 and 2 have
> been dumped/modified to become the framework for version 3.
> I dont' have much
> more than this, so others may want to chime in at any moment
> now and set the record straight on J3 (Squak, Squack, Smack,
> Andele and/or Arrrrrrrrrriba [my favorite]).

This might be a dumb question (I wasn't at the OOPSLA BoF), but is Jitter
being renamed to avoid using the phrase Just-In-Time (JIT)?  Does Sun have
a trademark on that phrase?  Just wondering.

I actually like the name Jitter the most, if there's not a trademark
problem.  It does do just-in-time compiling like the Java VM, but it could
also bring attention to the fact that just-in-time compiling has been
around in Smalltalk long before it was available for Java.

Also, if you think of the common meaning of the word jitter, which is to
tremble or shake, you could think of a (virtual) machine running so fast,
that it literally starts shaking, like an engine doing too many RPM's. :-)

Anyway, out of the suggestions, I like "Red-Shift" a lot as a serious
choice.  Also, "Willard" is great, but maybe a little too subtle/ironic
for most folk.  (Sort of an obscure mouse/rat connection to the movie of
the same name.)

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net

I'd call myself an artist
If I could make these feelings clear
But there's a million things to think about
When you're cutting off your ear
                - Scott Miller