Smalltalk language descriptions?

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at IT-IQ.com
Thu Nov 4 14:32:53 UTC 1999

> For example, has anyone done a formal
> description of Smalltalk for a doctoral thesis, or some such?

In case Ian Piumarta hasn't replied privately...

Check out University of Manchester Technical Report UMCS-88-6-1: Semantics
of Object-Oriented Languages, by Mario I. Wolczko.  Abstract at
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/cstechrep/Abstracts/UMCS-88-6-1.html.  CD-ROM of all
tech reports can be obtained via
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/cstechrep/ordering.html.

Mario went on to work on Self.  Ian probably knows more about the contents
of Mario's Ph.D. thesis than I do; from memory, it was a formal description
of several O-O languages, of which Smalltalk was completely specified.  But
it's been a number of years and I don't guarantee my memory.

		- Peter