Squeak Socket Primitives

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Mon Nov 15 09:42:43 UTC 1999

Craig wrote:

> 	I realize this debate has continued for a long time, but I think
> Andreas, John, Marcel, and Peter are missing a fundamental technical
> point.

So the point is this: Technically, it's preferable to have no polling at
all, but have select() wait and signal a semaphore. Practically, on
Windows select() is broken. Did I get this right?

If this is the case, wouldn't it be wise to prepare everything that's
needed to make use of the better approach, and let the primitive
implementers do their best to make it work on each platform?

  -Bert-