[FIX] Various fixes for Celeste

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Wed Nov 24 06:46:01 UTC 1999

On Tue 23 Nov, Lex Spoon wrote:

> I keep hoping someone will jump up who understands time zones and
> calendrial calculations and such and implement something in Squeak that
> can be easily ported around.
Oh my, that's a _lot_ to hope for! At PPS some years ago we had a
multi-day mailstorm about timezone stuff that generated enough hot air
to send Branson across the Atlantic. Conclusion: it's _damn_
complicated. Basically you need a way to read the time and your
machine's timezone, plus a way to convert from one TZ to another.

The good news is that by now all the OS's we use have at least some
understanding of timezones, where back then many didn't. I don't suppose
there is a website that offers zone/time conversion ? It may well be
simplest to pass the job off to a server somewhere.
Some timezones have a partial hour offset.
Some have wierd rules for daylight savings time start/stop.
Some appear to have no 'rules' - IIRC, UK DST is set on a year by year
basis.
Some have many names.
Ugh.

--