Fwd: Re: How to sell FP?

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Wed Nov 24 05:00:53 UTC 1999

So dividing one by t'other we get:-

Squeak2.6 / VW 5i

Towers Of Hanoi=10.6
Alloc Speed Test=3.2
Array Write Speed Test=2.98
Dictionary Write Speed Test=8.2
Floating Math Speed Test=3.4
Integer Math Speed Test=4.4
Ordered Collection Iterate Speed Test=5.4
Ordered Collection Write Speed Test=5.4
String Compare Speed Test=4.7

These are quite interesting numbers; it shows a fairly constant 4.5-ish
ratio. The biggest ratio, about 11, is for a piece of code that is very
dependent on Context handling, which we know is relatively weak in
Squeak. The 'next worst' is likely dependent on hashing behaviour, which
has had quite  bit of attention over the years at PPS.

Quite encouraging really; my guess is that a J3 system would probably
improve things by maybe a factor of 2-3 (don't forget much of the time
is in primitives, where jit-stuff makes little difference) except for
Hanoi, where we need better Context handling. Sort out Contexts, clean
up some other odds and end and Squeak might easily hit 80% of VW
performance.

tim

--
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)