Dialect Ports

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Mon Nov 29 21:35:12 UTC 1999

At 21:47 -0800 11/28/99, Chris wrote:
>I was wondering if there was any info or how-tos on porting from one
>dialect to another in relation to smalltalk-80. To be more specific,
>I want to port some code from Dolphin smalltalk for windows into
>Squeak. Is there a place on the Swikis that could educate me on this
>manner? Does anyone have first hand experience they're willing to
>share? Please reply to me personally to keep list traffic down, and
>I'll post the best responses/summary to the list in case anyone is interested.

I've done some recent work on filing in IBM Smalltalk Applications.
It isn't complete, it doesn't handle Subapplications for one, but
I've successfully used it and it handles complete application
fileouts.

While fileins look complex, the act of filing them in is trivial;
it's another of those Smalltalk cases of 'where is the code'? There
really almost is no code to do fileins; it's all done my mirrors and
magic.

It's not hard to do for any filein format, provided that the messages
buried in the filein do the same things in Squeak, or are undefined
in Squeak. If you want to discuss this more, contact me offline.

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY