Some questions about Squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Sat Nov 27 14:00:40 UTC 1999

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Raab, Andreas wrote:

> Unlikely. But looking onto your email address it might be better to use a
> server in Europe. I *think* that the updates are mirrored in Germany (Bert -
> is this correct?!) so you might want to patch your Squeak to go to a
> different server.

There indeed is a mirror over here. Execute this, and you'll be prompted
for the server to use next time you update:

Utilities updateUrlLists size = 1 ifTrue:
  [Utilities updateUrlLists add: #('Squeak Public Updates (Europe)'
    ('wwwisg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/Squeak2.0/' ) )]

> I don't see a difference between having a mailing list and a newsgroup
> *except* that having a mailing list avoids a lot of spam (both, to the
> newsgroup and to the people posting on it) and that it is a somewhat larger
> download. Since I don't mind downloading a bit more stuff and I really hate
> spam my personal preference is clearly that of having a mailing list.

Me too. For all who want to read the list without getting loads of email,
there is eGroups: http://www.egroups.com/group/squeak/

  -Bert-