Self 4,1 for MacOs?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Wed Nov 10 03:09:10 UTC 1999

At 17:04 04.11.99 -0500, you wrote:
>I too think highly of Self's approach, it's more general.  Also, as I
>understand, objects in Self can inherit from multiple objects.  Is the
>inheritance mechanism in Self as general as a "delegation" mechanism?  I'd
>really like to see some of these things in Squeak.

Actually, all what SELF has to implement inheritance is a general
delegation mechanism.  To add this to Smalltalk, all you'd need is to add a
delegation primitive (I did this once) and to support a list of delegation
(parent) objects additional to the super class pointer in a class'
definition.  You could probably also add this, but I didn't dare to change
the class object format.  My hack was (would be) to replace the super class
reference with an array and to hack the VM to treat an array of super class
plus delegations.  However I only tried this in a VM simulation and never
compiled such a VM.

bye
--
Stefan         //  I can program the universe
Matthias Aust //           unless the power fails...