Command Line Workspace (was RE: Language implementationinSqueak)

Scott Wallace Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Thu Nov 18 16:51:37 UTC 1999

At 3:46 PM +0100 11/18/99, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> And, is there anyone who actually uses ENTER as synonym for Cmd-s when
> accepting code?

Well there's me, for one.  I always hit ENTER to submit code, and
have used this feature dozens of times per day, every day for the
past four years.  For me it's a matter of speed and convenience when
touch-typing.  (I've never had a keyboard with a second cmd-key
available on the right, so cmd-s requires an awkward gesture with the
left hand in which two keys both need to be hit concurrently with
fingers of the same hand, a situation that never occurs in
touch-typing.)

And for novices, hitting ENTER to "enter" something (i.e. submit it)
holds a lot of promise as a universal UI, whereas "cmd-s" is rather
less intuitive and memorable.

Editing a method is very similar to editing a spreadsheet cell.  You
can type and edit all you want and it won't have any effect until you
decide you like what you've typed and you want to submit it.  ENTER
has served very well for this kind of function in spreadsheets,
databases, and the like -- at least on platforms that support it.

Perhaps we should make the mapping of Enter be a Preference.

    -- Scott

PS:  I wonder if I am the only Squeak user in the known universe who
uses ENTER to submit code.