A Proposal for Project Layers

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Mon Nov 15 22:36:26 UTC 1999

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Here is some further discussion...
> -----------------------------------
> >Perhaps I'm repeating some earlier thoughts, but in spite of this I want to
> >add a few remarks:
> >
> >> 3.  Pkg Thing
> >
> >Best form I think.
>
> Yes.  I'm pretty sure of this now.

At first I was a little concerned about this since there is no existing
convention for messages beginning with capital letters.  (I think?  I did
some searching by hand through the image and couldn't find any capitalized
messages, anyway.)  So, it might take some getting used to in terms of
code readability.

After further thought, though, I think that's probably not a big deal...
maybe even a good thing.  If the convention is followed that only package
globals will have these capitalized message names, then these package
global references will be easily recognized when looking at code.  This is
also true for option #1 (the dot separator), but not really true if #at:
is used. (Using #at: everywhere for this would be kind of ugly for the
additional reason that, because it is a keyword, it would nearly always
require parentheses...)

So, I guess you can count this as another endorsement for option #3.

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net

I'd call myself an artist
If I could make these feelings clear
But there's a million things to think about
When you're cutting off your ear
                - Scott Miller