Pretty Printing

Scott Wallace Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Sun Nov 7 06:29:05 UTC 1999

Rick,

It just dawned on me that the misunderstanding here is caused by confusion between the two kinds of pretty-print formatting available in Squeak:

*classic pretty-printing* is what you get when you have the #browseWithPrettyPrint preference set to true.  This is a monochrome reformatting of source code.  You also get this if you request "pretty print" from the code-pane menu if you've navigated to it via the more... item rather than via holding down the shift key.

*pretty-printing with color* is what you get if you choose "pretty print" from the code pane menu while the shift key is held down.

There are inconsistencies about how to get "pretty-printing with color".  You can always get it by holding down the shift key and choosing "pretty print" from the menu of the code pane.  But if you choose that same menu item by navigating via the "more..." item of the code pane menu in a regular browser, you get the uncolored pretty-print.  In the case of a message-list browser, you get the colored pretty-print if browse-with-pretty-print is true and you shift-select the method from the method-list pane, but that doesn't work in a regular browser.

Thus there clearly are some inconsistencies in the UI to pretty-printing, which I will address, hopefully in the next day or two.  Also, your wish to have a setting such that pretty-printing-with-color is always used is certainly reasonable.

I think it's probably a good idea to add an extra preference to govern pretty-printing-with-color.  Additionally, two separate items in the code pane menu, allowing you to request both plain-pretty-print and colored-pretty-print, should probably be provided as well.

Thank you, Rick, for drawing our attention to the inconsistencies here.  We're on it!

 -- Scott